Vapor Barrier Installation
A properly installed and maintained vapor barrier is more important than you may think. Here in the Pacific Northwest the amount of rain we get can spell problems for you and your home.
A vapor barrier is most commonly a layer of plastic sheeting installed in the crawlspace of your home to prevent excessive moisture from infiltrating the living area of your home as well as protecting wood and other structures from premature rot.
When installed properly with the proper ventilation and drainage systems in place, a vapor barrier will help preserve your home in “tip-top” shape for years. A vapor barrier must also be black in color due to building codes.
Excessive moisture can endanger the structural integrity of your home. Moisture will wick into the wood supporting your home causing rot and ultimately failure of key support systems. Excess moisture is also linked to increased chances of pest infestation such as termites and other insects that can also cause damage to your home.
Uncontrolled moisture issues may also contribute to certain health problems. A wet crawlspace is a factor in the growth of mold in your home. Mold has been associated with respiratory problems and allergy related illnesses.
Some Vapor Barrier Warning Signs To Look For:
- Water or mud in your crawlspace (especially after a rain)
- White deposits on the walls of your basement or crawlspace (efflorescence)
- Signs of rot on post and beams in crawl space
- Excessive rust on metal in crawlspace area (Nail heads, Post saddles, etc.)
- High radon levels
- Unpleasant musty odors
- Respiratory discomfort, headaches, and illnesses, such as allergies and asthma
- Insect and other pest infestations
- Mold and mildew on walls and floors of first-floor closets
- Peeling paint on home exterior
Proper vapor barrier installation will help reduce the problems associated with excessive moisture in your home. A Vapor barrier is an important part of a comprehensive system that includes waterproofing drainage and ventilation. At Masonry Waterproofing and Drainage Masters one of our specialties is the proper installation and repair of vapor barriers.
Call Us today. One of our experts will evaluate your needs and offer recommendations