in Portland OR and Vancouver WA areas
Beam Replacement or Repair
We at Masonry Waterproofing, and Drainage Masters are proud to offer pier and beam foundation repair!
Foundation settling typically only damages a home when portions of the foundation settle at different rates or different amounts. In theory, a house could settle several feet all at once and not sustain any damage. In most cases, if the amount of home foundation settlement is reasonable, uniform, and is not progressing, the only concerns are cosmetic. On the other hand, when portions of a foundation settle at different rates, this is when problems emerge.
Examples of these problems can be vertical cracks in the foundation, uneven or sagging floors, drywall cracks, chimneys pulling away from the house, and tight doors and windows.
When is Pier Replacement Necessary?
Many homeowners question at what point or circumstance should the foundation beams be replaced or adjusted. There are a few instances when we would recommend replacing your home’s support posts. These include:
- Foundation posts getting wet due to wet conditions or standing water issues in the crawl space. If posts get wet, they should be replaced. Posts that have been subjected to water for extended periods of time lose their strength and are more susceptible to rot issues.
- Uneven floors, Cracked drywall, sticking doors or Windows: sometimes a few uneven or settled piers in your foundation can cause these issues. Resetting piers and posts at correct heights can sometimes correct these issues.
- Bug (Termite) damage: Termite damage can cause your posts to need replacing. Remodeling, or moving of load-bearing walls: Moving load-bearing walls, or placing extremely heavy objects in one area of your home can call for additional piers and posts to support the additional weight.
Need an Estimate forContact us Now!
Sagging Foundation Repair and Beam Installation
Drainage problems are often more severe under post and beam structures than concrete slab foundations. Most homes here in the Portland and Vancouver area are post and beam foundations.
Post and beam foundations allow access to your homes underside – this area is commonly referred to as the “crawl space”. Posts placed upon concrete piers that come into contact with water or soil are at risk of rotting or mold, and therefore need to be replaced.
There are several common problems with post and beam foundations, but most often we see the following:
- Inadequately spaced piers: Piers at a minimum need to be no less than 6 feet apart to properly support a home, and in some cases, should even be closer.
- Poorly designed piers: We’ve seen everything from a post just stuck in the ground, to pipes wedged between joists and ground, to makeshift brick columns, these are sure signs of a problem that’s been years in the making.
- Foundations that lack girders: A telltale sign that you might have a girder problem is uneven and wavy floors.
Experts in Pier and Beam Foundation Repair
Masonry Waterproofing, and Drainage Masters will perform an initial inspection of your pier and beam foundation, which will reveal the cause of the problem. At that time, we will provide recommendations on repair or replacement services and a free estimate. Contact us today for more information, or to schedule an estimate.Back to Foundation Repair
Pier and Beam Foundation Repair in Portland OR and Vancouver WA areas
Serving clients in Portland OR and Vancouver WA communities: