in Portland OR and Vancouver WA areas
What is a Seismic Retrofit?
A seismic retrofit or seismic upgrade helps your building survive an earthquake. Without proper upgrading, and in the event of an earthquake, your home can literally be shaken from its foundation. The geographic location of Portland Oregon and Vancouver Washington make seismic retrofitting and seismic upgrading a serious consideration for any homeowner. All experts in the field agree that it is not if the next big earthquake is going to hit this area, but when. When this happens, considerable damage from an earthquake can be expected in our area.
A typical seismic retrofit will make sure your home is securely attached to its foundation and that the foundation itself is sound enough to withstand an earthquake while supporting the structure it is carrying. The purpose of proper seismic retrofitting:
- Save lives
- Reduce injuries
- Reduce earthquake property damage
- Reduce repair or replacement costs after an earthquake
Need an Estimate forContact us Now!
Steps Involved in a Seismic Upgrade
A seismic upgrade begins with an inspection of your home. There are many factors that influence what might be required of a seismic upgrade or retrofit to your home:
• The age of your home – An older home may need more work to bring it to current standards, but newer homes should also be inspected to ensure their earthquake preparedness.
• The type and condition of your foundation – Concrete foundations age and become unstable often requiring reinforcement or replacement. Block or stone foundations, as well as pier and post foundations, will almost always benefit from a seismic upgrade.
• Type of construction – This refers to how your home was attached to the foundation during construction. Cripple walls and other construction techniques create different challenges and will require different approaches to upgrade a home to the most current earthquake safety standards.
• Where your home is built – A home built on an incline will have different seismic upgrade requirements that a home built on flat ground.
After a thorough inspection, Masonry Waterproofing, and Drainage Masters will develop a plan to best prepare your home for an earthquake. This plan will include all the necessary hardware and materials to bring your home to current safety standards.
Depending on the extent of the work required you can expect the seismic upgrade to take a few days to weeks. Most seismic retrofitting and upgrade work is accomplished either in the basement or in the crawlspace of your home, with a minimum of disturbance to your family’s daily activities.
When the seismic upgrade is complete Masonry Waterproofing, and Drainage Masters will provide you with documentation concerning what was done to bring your home to current earthquake standards.
Seismic Retrofitting Cost
When it comes to seismic retrofit the question is not what is the cost of the upgrade, but, can you afford not to upgrade? Without an approved seismic upgrade most insurance companies will not offer you earthquake insurance. When the “BIG ONE” hits it will be the burden of the homeowner to shoulder the replacement cost of a new home.
Seismic retrofitting costs can vary dramatically, but the best way to get an accurate estimate of cost for a seismic upgrade is by setting up an appointment with Masonry Waterproofing, and Drainage Masters. One of our seismic retrofitting experts will come and inspect your home. We will be able to quickly and accurately estimate not only the costs involved but the extent of the work and approximate timeline you can expect. Call Masonry Masters today!Back to Foundation Repair
Seismic Retrofit in Portland OR and Vancouver WA areas
Serving clients in Portland OR and Vancouver WA communities: